Saturday, April 10, 2010

Early morning...


...and the family is asleep. All but me. Andrew woke up fairly early and kicked me until I gave up trying to sleep, and instead we had a nice morning cuddle before a certain aroma let us know it was time to get up whether mummy wanted to or not.
As usual, after about 1,5 hours, he's tired and ready for a nap.

It's a truly miserable morning, grey, cold and wet - a day to stay inside. Sitting here listening to Today Fm and missing Ireland. Suppose it's the weather bringing this feeling on. Had I been in dear old Killarney now, I would have a fire going to make the grey outside seem a bit less grey. But over here I suppose a lit candle will have to do.
Every so often I wish that we were still in Kerry, with all our friends and family, cosy pubs and a nice cold Bulmers. But then I realise that as much as I love my second home, we would not have the life there that we have here. Yes, it's been a gruelling year and a half in many ways, but we've made it through it. And with Andrew in our family, I can stay at home with him for at least a year, then go back to work only 75% should I want to. It's a legal right.
We are entitled to child care from the day he turns one, and it won't cost us an arm and a leg.
We're both working Mon - Fri daytime only, and with very decent wages. We can actually look at buying a house!
All this added together I know we made the right decision in moving back, but still.... Ireland is my second home. I miss the people, my friends; the long walks in the park, the beautiful and ever changing scenery, walking the streets in Killarney feeling so at home, the smell of peat burning... But all of this is forever in my heart, and who knows, maybe one day we'll move back!
Till then, we look forward to Grandad Bill with the rat arriving next week, and the whole family in May for Andrew's christening.

No comments: